Jake brought this Applesauce recipe home from school a few weeks ago. They had had it during class and he said it was super yummy. We decided to make it during Trey's naptime today.
Jake selected the apples. It is probably a better idea to go with the same kind because they seem to reduce and get tender differently.
Most of the recipe required work by me: peeling, coring, chopping and tending to it on the stove. Jake helped when he could, but it was somewhat limited.
At first I wasn't sure 1/2 cup water was enough, but the liquid from the apples helped immediately.
I didn't watch to see how long we let them simmer on the stove, maybe 15 minutes. We needed them to be "tender" which was a new word to Jake. He was very interested in seeing what the apples were doing on the stove. I think he expected something more exciting to happen as they became tender.
I did a quick drain because that is what the directions said. However, I felt like it was the yummy sugar and cinnamon that was draining off. Next time I think I'd drain right after removing from the stove, but since we were working on following the directions we didn't do that this time.
Mashing took some coordination on his part.
We decided it was good enough and each had a bowl of warm applesauce...and then we each had another. The recipe says it makes 6 servings based on the number of apples I'm sure. Well, we are going to stretch to make it 6. We've already downed 4 and will split the remaining so that Trey and Kent can have a small taste. A very yummy snack that has made the house smell wonderful too!
1 comment:
How am I just now seeing this blog?Looks yummy! You are blogtastic.
Post a Comment