I made the following modifications to the refried beans recipe because I was doubling the amount I needed for the burritos. I planned to freeze the extra to use in burritos the next time or as a side for another meal. Also, I'm not a huge fan of all the garlic and onion flavors.
- 7 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (I used dry beans and cooked them myself, freezing the extra for soups.)
- 3 T. butter
- 1 chopped onion (almost pureed, probably a cup)
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 t. cumin
- 1 t. paprika
- 2 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. chili powder (more or less- the intensity of chili powders seems to vary)
- 1/2 t. black pepper
I pretty much followed the directions on the burritos. I didn't add the salt and reduced the garlic powder to one teaspoon. I used burrito size tortillas and also the soft taco size thinking they would be better for the kids. I had extra filling so also used some tomato and basil wraps that I had for a few. Jake and I each had one of those and thought they were great. After supper I had 9 mini and 9 regular sized burritos ready to be wrapped for the freezer.
This morning I made Personal Sized Baked Oatmeal from Sugar-Free Mom. I exchanged the flax seed meal for extra oats and used maple syrup instead of the sweetener. I omitted the salt. I needed something that would be a quick go-to breakfast that was a bit on the healthier side and that the kids liked. The kids each ate two oatmeal muffins and thought they were yummy! If they get tired of them perhaps I'll add some of the suggested toppings or fruit to the batter. Since I had bananas that were ripe, I also made a batch of Banana Muffins. Lots of breakfast goodies for the freezer.
Of course, this is apparently Kyle's breakfast/snack of choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment