Saturday, August 11, 2012

Refrigerator Pickles

I've never pickled or canned anything, but have always wanted to try making pickles.  Papa gave us a couple of cucumbers from his garden and we had one from ours.  Using the Easy Refrigerator Pickles recipe as a guide, we gave it a try.

First we had to go to two stores to find what we needed.  I don't have lots of spices on hand and the first store was out of what we needed.


2 1/2 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers* (I used one of the sides of my grater to make them thin)
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 of a medium onion, cut into chunks (wanted to be able to pick them out if I wanted)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground sea salt
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I may have added a little more than that)
pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, smashed (wanted to be able to pick it out if I wanted)

*The picture shows 3 cucumbers, but one ended up being bitter.  Next time I'd add more cucumber to make at least 3 cups.

Place cucumber in a glass container that has a lid; mix together or layer with the onion.

Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for one minute. Pour mixture over cucumber and onions.  Shake around some and let it cool. Cover and chill at least four days.



4 days later....

My taste tester and pickle fan Jake...

 gave them a thumbs up!

Trey didn't want to be left out so he shoveled them in with two hands.
 They were a bit spicy, so he reached for his water.
Later, he asked for more, so I think he liked them too.

Now, for the big test.
Kent
I'm not sure Kent has ever had a pickle. 
He claims he has and that is why he doesn't like them. 
I wonder if it is just the color that scares him.
 Just when you think he is going to pop it in his mouth and savor it, he takes a little nibble.

He ate it and survived!
I don't think he'll start ordering pickles on he plain hamburgers, but am glad he participated in the taste test.

My thoughts?  I need more cucumbers and less hot spices.  I was pleased with the onion and garlic ratio because I'm not a big fan of either.  Over time the pickles are just going to get hotter and my guess is that I'll be the only one eating them.  Overall I think the experiment was a success and I will try making them again.

These pickles can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.

No comments: