Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Dessert Buffet

Last Friday Trey, Kyle and I went to a friend's house for a fun playdate.  We got back a little after 1:00 and just 3 hours later, we'd made a dessert buffet - and a big mess in the kitchen.
 
The beginning of the process.
 
Trey put the chocolate covered caramels on the pretzels.  Traditionally this is with Rolo candies, but I went the easy route and got the Walmart brand that are packaged like Reese Peanut Butter Cups.  They were much easier to unwrap.  The caramel wasn't as hard and there were little ridge marks on the chocolate, but it really did make it easier.
 
Mexican Wedding Cookies (recipe from my mom) and Turtles in the oven.
 
Trey adding the pecans to the Turtles.
 
 
We had several things going on at once.  Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (recipe from the lid of the Quaker Oats) went in the oven as soon as the Mexican Wedding Cookies came out.
 
Trey was beating up some candy canes while Kyle rearranged the cooling cookies.
 I made some super easy Peppermint Fudge that I'd seen The Pioneer Woman make on her show last week. 
 
 
  Back to desserts and the growing mess in the kitchen.
 
The kids helped to decorate chocolate covered pretzels and peanut butter sandwiches.
 The cooling rack was perfect for the pretzel rods so they didn't end up flat on one side.
 
 
It seems each time I bake a tornado goes through the Tupperware cabinet.  I've organized it so many times, but it seems it always ends up on the floor at some point.  You may also see the orange dump truck on the floor.  That is what Trey used to gather the trash to take to the garbage. 
 
The results:
Turtles
 
Pretzel Rods
 
Mexican Wedding Cookies
 
 
 
Peppermint Fudge
 
Chocolate covered peanut butter crackers
 
The dessert buffet.

No comments: