Yesterday while the kids were doing their thing...
...I turned off the air conditioner for a while just to get a little fresh air through the house. Those of you who live south of the Minnesota border probably think I've lost my mind. I only had it off for about an hour, but didn't want to heat up the house so I pulled out this:
I modified a couple of recipes from here for supper.
Crockpot Barbecue Chicken
4-6 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts (I put them in frozen.)
2 cups BBQ sauce (I finished off the bottle of Honey Chipotle and then used Original Baby Rays to make the 2 cups)
1/4 c vinegar
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 c brown sugar
Mix BBQ sauce with all ingredients listed under it. Place chicken in crockpot. Pour sauce over it and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours. Since I used frozen chicken I first put it on HIGH for 1 hour, then LOW for almost 3 hours until the power went out, and then HIGH for another 1/2 hour. I didn't take the lid off once to stir it, especially after the power went out. All of this to say, I probably didn't use the best method, so go with the LOW for 4-6 hours.
4-6 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts (I put them in frozen.)
2 cups BBQ sauce (I finished off the bottle of Honey Chipotle and then used Original Baby Rays to make the 2 cups)
1/4 c vinegar
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 c brown sugar
Mix BBQ sauce with all ingredients listed under it. Place chicken in crockpot. Pour sauce over it and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours. Since I used frozen chicken I first put it on HIGH for 1 hour, then LOW for almost 3 hours until the power went out, and then HIGH for another 1/2 hour. I didn't take the lid off once to stir it, especially after the power went out. All of this to say, I probably didn't use the best method, so go with the LOW for 4-6 hours.
I served the chicken with cheesy biscuits and green beans. Unfortunately we have limited green beans from our garden. We'll pick some to serve with leftovers today, but yesterday they were from the can. Here is the recipe for the cheesy biscuits. At this point I had the AC back on and used the oven.
Cheesy Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons butter, cold
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup milk and 1 1/2 tsp vinegar... let them sit together until little bubbles appear on the top, about ten minutes)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons butter, cold
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup milk and 1 1/2 tsp vinegar... let them sit together until little bubbles appear on the top, about ten minutes)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Mix in grated cheese. Add the buttermilk just until moist (dry spots here and there are ok - the biscuits will be tough if they are over mixed). Drop the biscuits onto a greased or lined baking sheet (I use my cookie scooper). Bake for 12-14 minutes, until browned and golden.
Jake really liked the chicken. I think the key was the red pepper flakes. They added more flavor than I had expected. Next time I would add more cheese to the biscuits just because I like cheese, but otherwise, very yummy!
No comments:
Post a Comment