Friday, May 5, 2017

My 1 Day Whole 30 Experience

Note the title didn't say Day 1, but 1 Day experience.  Technically it should have said 1/2 day because I realized later that I didn't follow the rules, I shouldn't have had corn that night.
 
Here's a quick summary of what Whole 30 is all about.  Its not a weight loss plan, but a "reset" for your body over 30 days.  You are suppose to eliminate grains (such as corn! duh!), legumes, dairy and sugar.  We eat a lot of pasta, bread, rice and beans.  I like cheese, milk, and sour cream.  I really like sugar.  But, I thought if the girl at work could do it, so could I.
 
I created a board on Pinterest for tips and ideas and went shopping.  I read lots and lots of labels and had lots of good food at my fingertips.  I was set up for success.

I started out good with eggs, apples and almonds.  This really wasn't a stretch because this is something we'd have for breakfast.
 
Plain sweet potato, chicken (both cooked in the Instant Pot) and spinach.  Dressings and condiments are limited mainly because of the sugar, but hot sauce was legal, so I used some of that.
 
Lettuce wraps with chicken, avocado and fresh salsa.  This was fantastic!


Roasted chicken and vegetables.  Even Kent ate the roasted broccoli and zucchini.  Again, an excellent, tasty meal.

The next morning I diced some of the roasted veggies and put them with my eggs alongside apples and blueberries.  See, I can be successful at this food elimination plan!
 
But, I hated it.  The food was great, but my mind was consumed thinking about food.  Not because I was hungry (in fact, based on how I was eating I would totally agree that it is not a weight loss program), but because the meal planning was making me crazy.  If I'm going to do something like this, I follow the rules, which means no cheating.  No trace of dairy, no soy listed tenth on the ingredient list.  No touch of honey.  Always checking to see if this jar was compliant or if it was the other brand.  I was going bonkers!
 
So, I jumped off the Whole 30 wagon.  When I say jumped, I mean jumped!  Ice cream with chocolate sauce, peanut butter and chocolate chips.  Each of those things forbidden items.  Now that's what I'm talking about! 
 
This post happens to come a day after a big name blogger posted about her successful completion of Whole 30.  The timing is pure coincidence.  This 1 Day Whole 30 experience took place about a month ago, but like with the eating plan, I slacked on finishing the blog and posting it until now.  Ha!

No comments: