Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chipotle Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

There seems to be a craze right now about Crock Pot meals.  For me, and I know it is this way for my sister as well, the time we have to prep a meal is not right before the meal, it is hours before.  So, while I prepare lunch for the kids, I've found this to also be a great time to get the crock pot going for supper. 

This recipe was based on a recipe with the same name from Make It Fast, Cook It Slow by Stephanie O'Dea.

Ingredients:
  • 4-5 frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 small can sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup frozen, diced green pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
I did not use the sour cream that is pictured and part of the original recipe.

I also did not use a home grown red pepper.

We ate the pepper from the garden raw because they were too yummy to mix with the other ingredients.  I used a store-bought pepper for this recipe.


Directions:
Put in the chicken, then the veggies.  Pour on the broth and spices.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. 

Dish up
and serve.

I liked it although the chicken was a little dry.
Kent thought it could have had more favor.
Jake thought it was too hot. 
No opinion from Trey.
I think next time I need to mix and distribute the spices better, perhaps even gently stirring about half way through the cooking time.

No comments: