Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ham & Corn Waffles

When my friend Beth was here after Kyle was born she made Ham & Corn Waffles so that we'd have a quick meal we could pull from the freezer.  I'm trying to do better about healthier foods for the kids.  Jake and Trey love the frozen toaster style waffles from the store.  Previously I've posted about how my kids sadly thought that was the only way one could get waffles until I showed them I do own a waffle iron and made waffles with them.  While this is not Beth's recipe (hers was from scratch), this is my version:

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices ham diced (I used prepackaged, cooked, deli ham)
  • 1 can cream style corn
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups pancake mix (I used Hungry Jack's Complete Wheat Blend)

Directions:
Heat waffle iron.  Mix wet ingredients together,
then add the dry mix.

Spray the iron with cooking spray.

Using a 1/3 cup measure, I put the batter on the iron.
I know I could have filled the sections more, but this size seems to work best for the kids.
Let me say it again, spray the iron each time you add more batter.  Otherwise, you'll end up with this.
That does freeze and pop into the toaster well.  That is what we had for lunch today!

For the waffles that did survive, I separated them with wax paper and put them in a gallon Ziploc to freeze. 

We can take them out and pop them in the toaster just like the ones from the store.  Note, our toaster works with bagels and is a little wider so the waffles fit in fine.  There have been times that I've toasted them twice just because they are thicker than the store bought ones and the toaster setting wasn't changed.

I'm not advocating that these are necessarily healthier than the store bought kinds because I haven't gotten into those kind of details.  I feel that they are, so that makes me feel better about serving them.  Plus, I've noticed that just one seems to stick with the kids longer in the morning and they aren't wanting extra snacks as much.

No comments: