Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Crock Pot Lasagna

This is another entree roughly based on a recipe in the Make It Fast, Cook It Slow book by Stephanie O'Dea.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained - I always thaw 2 pounds of meat and brown them both.  Then I freeze whatever I don't use for the current meal.  So, on this day, I just pulled a container of the already browned and drained meat from the freezer.
  • 1 jar pasta sauce (25 ounces) - I used a jar with basil flavoring this time
  • lasagna noodles
  • 1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 container ricotta cheese (15 ounces)
  • 1 deli slice pepper-jack cheese
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4-1/2 cup water
Directions:
Mix the meat and sauce together.  Layer in 1/3s as follows:
  • Meat mixture
  • Noodles, break up as needed to fit
  • Ricotta Cheese
  • Mushrooms
  • Motzzarella Cheese
  • Crumbled pepper-jack cheese (used all on one layer)

Repeat twice.  When I got to the last noodle layer I pressed them down a little to help get moisture to all of the noodles.  (Picture is prior to pressing down.) 
Continue with the other items.  Top with water.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  About an hour before serving I again pressed everything down to make sure the top layers got tender as well.  I cooked it for almost 7 hours and it got very brown around the edges, maybe too brown.

The day I made it everyone seemed to enjoy it. 
Kent of course picked out the mushrooms, but that was no surprise.  There were quite a bit of leftovers and those haven't seemed to go over as well.  So, I either need to adjust the ingredients and reduce the lasagna by a layer or invite friends over the next time I make it.

No comments: