Friday, October 28, 2011

Fall Treats

In the spirit of Halloween and the autumn season we've made some fun treats.  Both are super difficult so be careful to follow the instructions.  Ha!

Grilled Cheese Jack-o-Lantern
Cut the face out of one piece of bread before grilling.  It doesn't have to be perfect because it is a jack-o-lantern.  Jake and Trey thought this was fantastic.  I used green beans for the stem.

Pumpkin Muffins
I got this idea from Delicious Ambiguity.  I'm not a pumpkin fan, but remember a Thanksgiving in Houston when we visited a friend's house and her sister-in-law made a pumpkin cheesecake.  Amazing!  With the cream cheese frosting that Kara suggested, I thought I'd try this.

- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 can pumpkin pie filling

Mix together, put in muffin pan, bake on 350 for 20-24 minutes.

The frosting she made looked amazing because of two key ingredients:  cream cheese and coconut.  I knew the coconut wasn't going to work at my house, so I involved the kids and gave them an assortment of toppings. 

- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup powered sugar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together and spread over cooled muffins.  Lick the bowl clean.

Jake divided the muffins for us (a little impromptu math), 8 to each of us and we started decorating.  I had envisioned pretty fall themed muffins. What we ended up with were some of every topping on every cupcake!




The muffins look a little odd because I used a cookie scoop to put them in the paper.  I've found that the cute, decorative (in this case Halloween) muffin liners don't hold their shape very well.  These two things combined make them look a little different.  They still taste good.  In fact, I had planned for them to be a breakfast item, but I think they might cross the line to dessert! 

The topping choices we had were:  sprinkles, green sprinkles, chocolate chips (my favorite), raisins, purple sugar, rock chocolates, and almonds.  I guess I'll have to visit Kara to have one with coconut.



1 comment:

Kara Scharrer said...

Come on over! :) I'll make some more (ours were gone within hours of making them!)